Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hist Debate: "This House Would Negotiate with Hamas"

When I saw the posters around campus advertising this event, I immediately jotted it down in my campus diary.  Sometimes there are so many events going on around campus that if I don't write them down I'll remember it a day too late.  As with the Steve Zunes speaking engagement (prior post), covering similar world peace issues, I wanted to go to tonight's debate to learn more, hear different perspectives, etc. 


Here is the Hist's description of this debate:
"Hamas is the largest and most influential Palestinian militant movement. In January 2006, the group won the Palestinian Authority's (PA) general legislative elections, defeating Fatah, the party of the PA's president, Mahmoud Abbas, and setting the stage for a power struggle. Since attaining power, Hamas has continued its refusal to recognize the state of Israel. Hamas combines Palestinian nationalism with Islamic fundamentalism. Its founding charter commits the group to the destruction of Israel, the replacement of the PA with an Islamist state on the West Bank and Gaza, and to raising "the banner of Allah over every inch of Palestine." Hamas launched numerous suicide bombing attacks on Israel between 1993 and 2005. Condoleezza Rice has expressed the view of most Americans that Hamas should not be negotiated with as long as it calls for the destruction of Israel. However, others say that the Israeli government would achieve more for peace in the Middle East by seeking compromise rather than seeking expansion of its settlements."

The debate was great, I'm so glad I went.  Heated?  Yes, at times, but all in good taste.  The thing I like about going to these debates is that everyone keeps appropriate decorum for the most part, respecting the opposite opinion.  Sure, some student debaters get a little too "into it" but then again with certain debate topics that is only natural, I suppose.  Tonight there was one student (not a debater) who made inappropriate comments from the audience, which is very much disapproved of.  A few daggering glances were thrown and I think at one point the chair rang the bell to reinstate order.  Other than this rudey tudey, all was orderly tonight.

Some of these students that get up there and speak are but wee ones, so I give them props for having the courage to get up there in a crowd of 100 or so and have a go at it.  Of course, I'm sure the invited guests help in keeping the professional tone, but my point is simply that I'm always impressed by the majority of the students debaters.  Tonight I learned more from the invited guests, who seemed a bit more well-versed on the Hamas topic, but still have to give the students credit.  I know I couldn't do it.

If you ever visit Trinity during the school terms, I would highly recommend sitting in on a Phil or Hist debate if you hear of one.  They're almost always in the evenings around 7.30 at the GMB.  They usually last around 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment