Monday, October 12, 2009

1st Conference at Trinity: Rome I Regulation

As Trinity LLM students, we are allowed and encouraged to attend school-sponsored conferences at no cost.  I always enjoy conferences - you usually learn something new and you typically meet interesting people.  Mingling and making new business connections is always worth the time and effort.

This weekend's conference sounded interesting in general, but I'm also taking a class wherein we will learn (and be tested) on this very topic, so I figured it will be worth my while to attend.

The conference was entitled, "Rome I Regulation on the Law Applicable to Contract Obligations:  Implications for International Commercial Litigation" (click title for link) - wowsers, was I lost!  I understood what they were talking about, but the thought of actually having to memorize all of this information and . . . eek, be tested on it?  Some serious studying is ahead of me, fo' sho'.

One speaker was from the U.S., yay!  There were were 15 speakers total for this 2-day conference.  In speaking with members of Trinity's law department, the speakers were all very well respected, distinguished faculty, authors and lawyers from England, Switzerland, Netherlands, Scotland, Germany, Spain, France and USA. 


Comparison!
While the speakers each had a very impressive background description in the conference brochure, one thing I noticed was vastly different from conferences I've attended in the U.S.:  probably 80% of them read directly from the materials provided in our conference booklet!  With all due respect to the speaker, I felt like I was in story hour at the bookstore. 

The U.S. guy gave a type of presentation that I'm familiar with - he had a very modest powerpoint and spoke to the audience from what he had prepared.  A couple others did this as well, with or without the powerpoint.  The others who read directly from the handouts ... I was just puzzled and thought they could have made their presentation so much more interesting!  Ah well, another difference in a new culture.

Anyway, here is the book that my professor and his PhD student wrote regarding Rome I Reg:


Cheers to hours upon hours of studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment