Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Floral Stockings

I was supposed to do my Immigration thing today, but overslept a bit, then walked to the wrong building anyway.  I went to the Garda station, when in fact I was to go the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Services, which is right on Burgh Quay near O'Connell Street.  Now I know where to go for Wednesday!

Having no class on Mondays, I decided to take this opportunity to walk around town more and check out new places.  I had lunch at Mona Lisa, a casual Italian place near the INIS.  I then walked along the Liffey for a bit, then headed up O'Connell St. to Henry St. and stopped in Penney's, a department store that I would equate with...well, probably JC Penney's or Sears in the States.  (Incidentally, America's JC Penney's is not related to Ireland's Penney's (Primark in the UK).  Use of the same name led to trademark litigation in the 1970s.  You can read about it here.)

Penney's is a good standby for basics and very inexpensive clothing.  You wouldn't go here for the latest high-end fashion, but it's great for low-cost basics.  I went there today for stockings, as it's starting to get a bit chilly outside and, if I'm going to wait inline at the INIS at 6am on Wednesday, I'll be wearing some stockings under my jeans at the very least.

While on my hunt for basic black and brown stockings, I spotted these:

Mamma Mia, those are some bold prints.

Ok, I know the floral thing is becoming a trend now, but I don't think these florals qualify as "in" - right?  I swear, sometimes the fashions that I see young girls wearing over here makes me question what is really "in" versus what is just "Dublin-esque 'in'".  I recall Anthropologie had a cute pair of black stockings with a small floral print (last year?  2008?  I forget.), and they were quite cute.  And I'm all for a stocking with a nice pattern.  But for me, the above atrocity is entirely different.  It's a bit loud.  What do you think?  I'm sure somebody might be able to pull these off, but presently that is not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment