Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dublin Marathon and O'Neill's pub

Yesterday was a Bank Holiday (which means virtually all businesses are closed...and also College is closed) as well as the Dublin Marathon.  Although I didn't run the race, I did go out and cheer on the runners.  It always gives me inspiration to watch a race; makes me realize I need to get off my lazy bum and start training again.


I woke up early to be at the start line, then walked back toward Trinity, where I knew the race route passed.  Saw lots of purple and green Team in Training jerseys - yay!  Also, a very inspirational racer:  a blind woman, led by the arm throughout the course.  How cool is that?!




I later walked to the finish line, also by Trinity.  I've never seen the winners cross the line, so this was loads of fun.  I'm so amazed by those speedy runners and especially in awe of the wheelchair marathoners.  I think the wheelchair winner finished around 2hrs?  The first place male runner winner finished in under 2:10 - is that crazy or what?  Here are pics of both:


1st place male runner, Feyisa Lelisa (Ethiopia)
Finish time:  2.09.12
He not only finished 5 seconds shy of the course record, but he is also the first Ethiopian to win the Dublin Marathon!
2nd place male runner, Alexsey Sokolov (Russia)
He holds the course record of 2:09:07

1st place female runner, Kateryna Stetsenko (Ukraine)
Finish time:  2.32.45
Adidas support staff were wonderful in helping many injured runners cross the finish line.

And now...this goes out to all of my male runner friends.  Please heed the advice regarding anti-chafing products!  Just buy the damn Body Glide, Nip Guards (gotta love the name), SportShield or Hydropel and get over it.  Or bandages if you're stubborn.  We all get a giggle at the topic at first, but perhaps you can use this guy as an example: 

Ouchie.

I ran the Dublin Marathon in 2006.  Best race ever.  Both then and now, my favorite aspect of the race is by far the different dialect of Irish when they cheer on runners:

"Well done!"
"Splendid!"
"Nearly there!"
"Excellent!"

The American "nice job" just isn't as appealing.

For all of my runner friends out there, which race is your favorite thus far?  And what international race do you want to run with me between now and August 2010?!  (Come on, Michelle W., you know you want to...;)

Later that evening, Audrey wanted to get together for some "traditional Irish music", so we went to O'Neill's pub just a block or so from Trinity.  Great place.  I had been there once before in 2007 with Jill and did not realize how ginormous the place is.  I was excited to go more because it was Marathon night, and I knew a lot of runners would be out celebrating.  I met a few runners, some from the States, some from other parts of Europe.  The music was great, I will definitely go back there again.  The group consisted of 3 musicians, 2 girls and one guy.  One girl played an Irish button accordion, the other girl played a violin; the guy played a guitar and sang.  They were quite fun to listen to and they knew nearly every request from the audience.  The most memorable moment was when he thanked everyone at the end - he commented that normally they play for a livelier crowd at O'Neill's...then pointed to our table and made a comment that we were so quiet that he thought we were "attending church".  We had a good laugh from that.

Here is a photo of the group:



...and of our delicious nachos...great pub food!
in case some of you are wondering...no, the "hot sauce" was not exactly "hot"

No comments:

Post a Comment